We’re going to issue a spoiler alert right away and tell you that most of college football’s top teams won last week. However, there were plenty of close games that put these teams in danger of losing their lofty position. As you’ll find out, Alabama was one such club as they eked out a close win in Baton Rouge.
1. Alabama (9-0) – While LSU is no doubt one of the top teams in the nation this year, most people wouldn’t have been surprised if the Crimson Tide blew them out. After all, Alabama had been destroying opponents by a 31.7-point margin of victory. However, this meant nothing as the Tigers took this game down to the wire. But the Tide persevered on the last drive thanks to a 28-yard screen play TD by T.J. Yeldon.
Last Game: 21-17 win over LSU
Next Game: vs. Texas A&M
2. Oregon Ducks (9-0) – Kenjon Barner had an incredible performance after rushing for 321 yards and 5 touchdowns against USC on the road. With the Trojans out of the way, Oregon should coast towards an undefeated season and hope the BCS favors them.
Last Game: 62-51 win over USC
Next Game: at California
3. Kansas State (9-0) – We cautiously put K-State here while we wait on the extent of QB Collin Klein’s injury. But assuming he can suit up again soon after being knocked out of the Oklahoma State game, the Wildcats are still fairly close to Oregon.
Last Game: 44-30 win over Oklahoma State
Next Game: at TCU
4. Notre Dame (9-0) – The Irish won’t gain any style points for taking three overtimes to polish off a mediocre Pitt team. But a win is a win, and Notre Dame remains in the BCS Championship picture after grinding out a difficult game.
Last Game: 29-26 (3OT) win over Pittsburgh
Next Game: at Boston College
5. Georgia (8-1) – The Bulldogs still lead our list of one-loss teams following a convincing win over Ole Miss. Assuming Georgia can get by their hated rival Auburn this Saturday, they’ll be facing off against Alabama in the SEC Championship game.
Last Game: 37-10 win over Ole Miss
Next Game: at Auburn
6. Ohio State (9-0) – The Buckeyes jump a couple of spots this week because A) they’re still undefeated, and B) they dismantled Illinois last weekend. Sure Ohio State has nothing to play for in regard to the postseason. But you can bet that QB Braxton Miller and the rest of the Bucks will be gunning for an undefeated season.
Last Game: 52-22 win over Illinois
Next Game: at Wisconsin (Nov. 6th)
7. Florida (8-1) – We haven’t exactly been inspired by the Gators’ last two outings: a narrow win over Missouri and an offensively-anemic loss to Georgia. However, all of this can be forgotten if Georgia loses Saturday since Florida would be in line for an SEC Championship Game berth.
Last Game: 14-7 win over Missouri
Next Game: vs. LA-Lafayette
8. LSU (7-2) – Despite two losses, LSU still deserves a top 10 spot after they way they played against Alabama. Many people contend that the Tigers outplayed the Tide before coming up short in the win column. This could be the closest that anybody plays the Tide all year.
Last Game: 21-17 loss to Alabama
Next Game: vs. Mississippi State
9. Oklahoma (6-2) – Much like LSU, Oklahoma benefits from quality losses in our power rankings. Dropping games against Kansas State and Notre Dame is nothing to be ashamed of….but it is enough to keep a team from playing in the National Title Game.
Last Game: 35-20 win over Iowa State
Next Game: vs. Baylor
10. Florida State (8-1) – Once again Florida State rounds out our top 10. They were off last week and got much needed preparation for a tough road game in Blacksburg. If the Seminoles can survive this test, they’ll be one step closer to a major BCS bowl game.
Last Game: Bye
Next Game: at Virginia Tech.